75100385

Discrimination by PayPal in the UK

I'm an Iranian citizen currently living in the UK on student visa. I opened a bank account in the UK Santander bank after enrollment in the University through a fully legal process and I'm now using the bank service. I recently tried to open an account with PayPal to use their financial services in the UK but noticed that my nationality is not listed in their registration page. I believe that elimination of my nationality in PayPal is due to US sanctions against transactions with Iran (Please see Iranian Transactions Regulations, 31 C.F.R) which are not valid in other countries due to jurisdiction independence. I'd like to know if elimination of my nationality in PayPal services inside UK can be considered as a discrimination offence (in behavior or service) according to the Human Right Act 1998 or any other relevant laws?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola,

I'm very happy to wait. And I wonder why my unanswered question is removed and I have not received refund yet. Please keep the question there until somebody answers. Thanks for letting me know.

Amir

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
The Human Rights Act does not apply to private companies, only public bodies. So you can't claim that. But you may claim under the Equality Act 2010 if they are discriminating against you because of your nationality.
So yes, you can claim under the Equality Act 2010, but NOT the Human Rights Act.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm an individual and I did follow the Individual registration procedure through PayPal service. My nationality is not listed.

Many thanks,

Amir

Yes I understand Amir.
You may bring a claim against Paypal under the Equality Act 2010.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much, your answer was helpful.

May I know the procedure in brief?

Should I file a complaint with police or elsewhere?

Thanks alot

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much.

I think in a discrimination case it's difficult to estimate the loss. Actually what I am looking for is not money, I just want my country listed cause many of the websites are using only PayPal for processing payments and eliminating my nationality means I cannot use any of them.

Can I file a claim and ask the court to make PayPal add my nationality - with no financial loss claim?

Amir

Yes you can.
The issue fee is £280.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help,

You answered my question.

Good luck!
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience