ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I have a flat in a property with 3 flat owners who are seeking

Customer Question

I have a flat in a property with 3 flat owners who are seeking to buy the freehold from the present owner of the property (we each have a 120 year lease). 2 of the 3 flat owners are very keen to go ahead, and the 3rd says he is, but also says he no longer has a copy of his lease. We wish to get a chartered surveyor to value the property so that we can make a reasonable offer for the freehold, but are told we need to send the surveyor all 3 leases. Can we request a copy of No 3's lease from the Land Registry and/or is it possible to vale the property without the copy of the 3rd lease?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would really like some information as soon as you an provide it.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
I am currently specialising in Family Law and am therefore not an expert in Land Law. I therefore do not know if it is possible to value the freehold without all 3 leases.
I do however on a regular basis have to undertake Land Registry Searches.
Anyone can obtain a copy of a Lease that was created after 13 October 2003. Prior to that date a copy can only be obtained if you are a party to the lease or can procure the written consent of the owner. You will therefore be able to obtain a full copy unless the parties to the lease have previously made a successful application to the land registry to have some information exempted - if this is the case then you will receive a redacted version.
Follow this link to the Land Registry:
https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/
Use the 'Find a Property' section and select the Leasehold 'Title Register'. The Title Register shows basic information only - not the full lease. This costs £3 and will give you the title document - this will contain the title ID document number that you need to apply for the lease.
You can then apply on this form:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/449554/OC2.pdf
You have to complete this and send it in the post. Fee is £23.
The other leaseholder also has the option of asking his mortgage company for a copy - if he has a mortgage.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received.
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for this information which I have been following up. I have found the Title number of the property and filled in the application for the lease, but cannot find anywhere on the Land Registry website where to send the application and/or to whom the cheque should be made out. Can you help me with this information?

Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
The application needs to be sent to the local land registry office for your area. The contact centre lines are open 8am to 6pm -- 0300(###) ###-####- they will help.
Cheques are made payable to 'Land Registry'
Kind Regards
Caroline