75100385

Tenant since 1995-6 with same landlady, she dies 3 years ago,

Customer Question

Tenant since 1995-6 with same landlady, she dies 3 years ago, she owns several properties after 2 years probate the landlady's family sell all her houses to one developer.
Tenant signed new tenancy agreement in 2003, in a different one of her properties due to ill health 2 minutes from original flat, tenant owes about eight thousand pounds from long time ago, he has been paying rent constantly since new owners (think about 6 months). There are 4 sitting tenants left in 3 of the houses that the developers are in the process of trying to pay off to move out, one of these are family and in the deal offered they were told of the debt, and that they will cancel my debt and not take him to court to retrieve it if they take the amount offered.
My first question. In signing a new tenancy in another of the ladies properties cancel out his chances of being a sitting tenant (he has been told that it has by them).
Second question. Do the new owners take on the tenants debt from the previous owner.
Many Thanks.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
1. If you sign a new tenancy agreement then you are no longer a sitting tenant. You go back to being a new tenant and all existing rights, if you had any are lost. But this would be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy anyway, as in 1995, so you have no greater rights now than you did then.
2. Thew new owners do NOT take on the tenants debt. This is because the debt is between the tenant and the old Landlord. Its not assigned.
Can I clarify anything or you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/