12826847

Can you go into prison by not paying your credit card. The

Hi can you go into prison by not paying your credit card.
The amount o/s is ,17000.
It is my dads card. He borrowed it to family members who hv let him down and not paying.
I rang his crd company and told them he gave the crd to family members about they not paying but he on benefits and has mental health issues and agreed to send a medical letter. However the letter his gp has referred him but it has not been diagnosed. Because of this can my dad go to prison.
I am happy to pay for my dad as my dad is on benefits and I can only pay 60.00.my dad is stressed he does not want to go to prison.he has no criminal record.he just gave the crd to help my cousins but now they not paying. In the last they HD always paed his crd in full
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
He can't go to prison for debt but they could seek a CCJ against him if he doesn't pay. He is liable for the card. His own internal arrangements with family members are not the problem of the creditor I'm afraid.
But this will not lead to custody.