31090051

My mum owns half a house with my sister and still has belongings

My mum owns half a house with my sister and still has belongings in it. She has moved to supported living accommodation because my sisters husband was harassing my mum and my mum wasn't being looked after properly. Yesterday, we went to pick up a few more of my mum's belongings and my sister has changed the lock so my mum can't get in (she's 83, frail, and in a wheelchair ). I don't think my sister is allowed to block mums access to the house in this way. Can you advise please?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
You are right. Your mother has a right of entry to her house or any house that she shares. She can ask for a key. If that is refused she can instruct someone to break in for her if necessary. She does not need a court order. She can't be charged with breaking in to her own house.
I hope that helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.