Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

My 18 year old niece wishes to spend a gap year in England--she

My 18 year old niece wishes to spend a gap year in England--she is Australian, and wonders whether there would be restrictions on her seeking work, e.g., as a waitress, while she is in the UK.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
She would be able to apply for a tier 5 youth mobility scheme visa. This is basically for young people who want to live, work and travel to the UK for a period of up to 2 years. She would be eligible because she is Australian. She must also have the funds to support themselves when they arrive in the UK. Visa holders are allowed to stay in the United Kingdom for up to two years and can work for the full two-year period. There are no restrictions on the kind of work that visa holders can undertake, except that they cannot set up their own business, work in professional sports, or work as a trainee doctor. I hope that this helps. Please rate positive.