Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

Rightly or wrongly I engaged in an affair which has been

Customer Question

Hi, rightly or wrongly I engaged in an affair which has been going on for 9 months. About four months ago my 'affair partner' received a number of texts and letters telling him that the sender knew about his affair that they had seen us etc etc etc. They did have details and to cut a long story short we met on an affair site which was recently hacked. After a while with only a letter and invoice being sent to his wife but which he managed to catch before she saw them everything went quiet and although we cooled things a bit we continued seeing each other. Then last week he receives another letter which indicates that this person is going to drop it but it has shaken him up and from the detail of the letter he thinks it is someone who he has had an affair with ie either myself or one of two other women. I'm a little hurt and also angry because he lied to me saying he hadn't had any previous affairs. Anyway he is now all over the place and I feel is accusing me although I didn't do it. He claims to have recruited some company miles away who specialise in this type of thing and I'm not very happy as he has given them access to his phone and computer on which he has intimate photos of myself and sexts. He is saying that if he find out who it is he will sue them for premeditated harrassment with malicious intent. If he does this our affair is bound to be exposed. Is there anything I can do and can he really sue this person when he is guilty?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean?
He is threatening to sue who?
Also, I notice you have not yet rated a previous answer so I would be grateful if you could do that now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the previous question was withdrawn so I did not have to give a rating. He is saying he will sue the person who sent him texts and anonymous letters for premeditated harrassment with malicious intent but I don't see anything malicious. I think they wanted him to tell his wife about his affairs. He Apparantly has some company in Manchester looking into all this to try and determine who sent everything. I just don't want to be exposed or accused and I don't want some company looking at my private texts and pictures.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I have been asked to help in this matter. As I understand the situation you want to know whether he can sue this person for basically writing these letters and texts to him. I am not convinced that a civil court would take such a claim very seriously - it is not slander or libel - as she only wrote to him from what you have written and not third parties. Happy to discuss further - please remember to rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, he thinks he has a case for harassment if he ever finds out who did it, but at the end of the day he is guilty of adultery and the texts and letters aren't malicious in tone but more a case of 'I know what you've been up to ...' He claims that he has a company investigating and has given them access to his phone. I am worried that risqué photos and sexts are exposed if he pursues this. He also accused me of this at one point so I was wondering if there is anything I can do.
I am not convinced that there is anything either he can do with regard to bringing such a claim against her - there is also as you have identified no merit in such a claim - even if it was to succeed. It would clearly only makes matters worse. You are not a party to any potential claim and as such there isn't really anything that you can do either way. Happy to help further but please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there nothing I can do to stop him allowing access to my pictures and explicit texts? Would the police look into who has sent the anonymous texts and letter or would they not get involved.
Happy to answer - but would you like to rate positive for the original answer
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience: Over 25 years experience in law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I think I managed to rate you there! Please can we continue.
The police are rarely interested in these matters - they should be but they rarely are sadly.