12826847

My ex husband is putting derogatory comments on a social media

Customer Question

My ex husband is putting derogatory comments on a social media site which are very upsetting. Can I do anything about it ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What type of thing is he saying?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
General remarks which have not named me - for example - just had a black cloud put over my day by you know who. His girlfriend has put lots of comments on about parents that alienate children etc . (We have just gone through a difficult court case where the family judge reduced his access). There has just been a continuous comments which everyone will know refers to me. Last night he was in a boxing match and said he punched hard because he was thinking of me. Alone the comments do not seem much but it is the continuous nature and the follow on comments by his friends and family. I feel that I can't cope with it any more.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but he is free to do that. He isn't responsible for the comments of his girlfriend anyway but he is free to update his status of these sites and he is not saying anything untrue or really event abusive. The fact that you do not like these comments do not give you a cause of action against him.
If this is a Facebook and twitter you can always unfriend and unfollow him so you won't see them.
I'm afraid that what you cannot do is create a situation where he can never comment about your interactions. If he is having to go to court for access then I'm afraid it is likely that is going to lead to some form of comment or another and it isn't going to be positive.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - thankyou
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
All the best.