Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

As litigant in person, what costs can you claim?

Customer Question

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
The hourly rate which a litigant in person can claim is £18.00. The maximum the LiP can recover for time is two-thirds of the amount that would have been allowed if legally represented. This limit does not apply to disbursements. I hope that this helps. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Please explain how to calculate 2/3 If legally represented?2. Preparing a letter preparing a letter has taken me days to prepare, how to claim that?
In respect two-thirds of the amount that would have been allowed if legally represented. It is a maximum of 2/3rd if you have been represented. It is often easier to argue 2/3rd of the sum that the other party (if legally represented) has claimed. With respect to letters you are usually looking at a unit of time depending on the number of pages - it would usually be one unit per page - there being usually either 5 or 10 units to an hour. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1.I just want to get this practically realisable so it will have been beneficial to has asked the question. For example, I'm making an application,'How do I ask for it in the paperwork,in which section, so that it is considered?'

Is this along the right lines? eg 'My costs are 2/3 of the defendants cost if I'm unrepresented at time of hearing, else the cost is that of my councel'. Please advice.

No you i theory will have to provide the court with a justification of your costs - by this you will need to compete a costs schedule - setting out all the hours that you have done and the work that you have done in the case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1.So for example, the letter I prepared has taken days to prepare and write. can I produce a cost schedule for that?

2. How does that reconcile with "letters you are usually looking at a unit of time depending on the number of pages - it would usually be one unit per page - there being usually either 5 or 10 units to an hour."

I am happy to help with the additional questions but please rate positive
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience: Over 25 years experience in law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help so far.

Could you please answer the two questions above?

You can produce a cost schedule for the letter - the court would need to see that the time was proportionate. Some solicitors charge a letter at 1 unit per page and others at 2 units per page. The court will struggle to allow you to spend a number of days on one letter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Let's say 2 units per page, with 3 pages , 6 units in total. What does that equate to?
Can I claim for congestion charge, diesel, going to Royal Courts if Justice Advice Buereu travelling time @£18per hour , just Answer costs?
You can usually charge for reasonable expenses - I would work on the basis of 10 units an hour. You can applying for travel , congestion charge and parking etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What does '10 units an hour' equate to in monetary terms?

A tenth of £18.00 if £18.00 an hour
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can ask this as seperate Question,as you wish:-

How you any knowledge or experience trying to lift the stay of proceeding due to breaches of a Tomlin Order?

you will have to ask as new question or rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rated excellent already earlier!Have you any knowledge or experience trying to lift the stay of proceeding due to breaches of a Tomlin Order?
Thats great but that is for this question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't understand,"Thats great but that is for this question".
And I can ask another question but need to know, with all respect,'Have you had any knowledge or experience trying to lift the stay of proceeding due to breaches of a Tomlin Order?' It would help me. I hope you understand.
Yes I do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And is it difficult to achieve ?
And please tell me how I can ask another question and to rate as you were asking.
Thank You.
You need to list as a new question - thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know the best way so I can continue with you . Thank you.
If you just list as a new question then I can deal