75100385

Does a landlord have a legal obligation to provide a

Customer Question

Does a landlord have a legal obligation to provide a suitable floor covering in a property. If so, what is that obligation/what is defined as suitable (for a carpeted property, does the landlord have to provide good quality underlay and carpet). The question
relates to a semi-detached property where the stairs are on the party wall and the landlord's floors have non-existent underlay and worn down carpet. As such, I can clearly hear the tenants walking up and down the stairs. Do I have any legal recourse to the
landlord? And can I take any action against the tenants?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know whether you have complained to the council please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not complained to the council. I am asking on an "in principle" basis?
Yes in principal.
The tenant is liable but not the Landlord. The tenant would then sue the Landlord. But the tenants are making the noise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Quick one. Does the obligation to provide good quality underlay and carpet have to be included in a specific clause in the Tenancy Agreement? Or is the obligation to provide good quality underlay and carpet an (generic) implied obligation of every Tenancy Agreement?
In the tenancy agreement, no.
It's not implied or express.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/