My wife and I took delivery of a brand new car under a 4 year

My wife and I took delivery of a brand new car under a 4 year lease agreement on 02/09/2015. The car has broken down five times now with the same fault, and we have had use of the car for about two weeks. The rest of the time it has been in the dealership garage.
We think that 7 weeks (the car is still at the garage as we write) is a reasonable period of time to effect a repair on a car fresh from the production line.
Obviously we paid the requisite deposit and the first monthly rental. Bot***** *****ne is we are paying out for something we have not got and can't enjoy.
Rights please - the manufacturer / finance company are prevaricating?
David & Ann Morton
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Why haven't they provided a courtesy car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jo

Sorry - we should have said, we do have a courtesy car.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
OK. Is it the same specification roughly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Our car is a Nissan Qashqui N tec + automatic. Courtesy cars we have had to date are 1) a Nissan Micra and 2) a Nissan Juke. Neither a like for like vehicle, but beggars can't be choosers!

Ann & David

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Clearly there are faults and they have a duty to provide you with a car that is roadworthy.
If they had left you with no car at all then it would be possible to argue that you should be provided with an immediate replacement but the provision of a courtesy car makes things harder.
This is all a test of reasonableness. They have offered a replacement that does offer you a mode of transport so it is not possible to argue that you are suffered onerous inconvenience. The plain fact remains though you are paying for a car that is not what you have received and that can only be allowed to go on for so long.
If the fault has displayed itself five times and they have taken seven weeks over repair then I do think you could demand a replacement immedatiately or with a very short notice period.
Escaping the lease agreement is harder to do. I do not think you can get over that hurdle at this stage and to do so you would need to give them at least one months' notice and then there would still be an argument upon the point in court.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. I'm fine for the time being. Garteful for your advice.

David M

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.
No problem.
Please remember to rate my answer.