ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I recently put a personal injury claim through against an old

I recently put a personal injury claim through against an old employee where the outcome was (as i believed) 10k. I received settlemen of 7k after 20% fees. It was recently brought to my attention through my ex employee the offer was im fact 38k! How can this be? Are fees that high or am i missing something!
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
That does sound rather confusing. May I ask:
- did you get a client care from your solicitor - did this detail on what basis you had instructed them? was it a conditional fee agreement? damage based agreement? did it deal what their fee would be and if there would be a success fee? when did your case start?
- did you get a bill from your solicitor at the end of your case? when was this? what does the bill say?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by client care? I had to take a insurance policy out.
It was a Conditional Fee Agreement yes.
I was told it would not exceed 25% of damages recived. There hourly rate 200+ to theses added their success fee which can be as as 100% of their basic charges. Injured 6/1/14 case around 4/14 settlement 8/15 i do not recall the bill being sent out.
Thank you for this information.
Whenever a Solicitor takes on a new case - they are required to provide you with a letter at the beginning of the case setting out what fees will be charged and also providing you with an estimate. This is known as a client care letter. Check if you have one.
Clients who enter into a CFA on or after 1 April 2013 will have to pay the success fee and any after-the-event (ATE) premium from their damages. It is therefore very important that your solicitor properly informs you at the very beginning of the success fee that will be payable if you win your case.
The basic fee is however normally paid by the losing party along with the costs of any disbursements (such as expert reports) although you may have to pay have had to pay if there was any shortfall.
Solicitors are also required to keep you informed of costs and to give you a clear bill which shows the work done and the amount charged. This will help you decide if what you have been charged is reasonable.
If you haven't been provided with a bill then you should contact the law firm immediately and ask for one. You will then be able to work out the total costs of the case including disbursements and VAT.
If the law firm doesn't provide you with a bill or they do and things don't add up - you should consider making a complaint.
If the bill you receive is basic and you want more information you may request a bill containing detailed items within three months of receiving a summary bill. This will then replace the summary bill and may be for more than the original bill.
You have to have complained to the law firm in the first instance and given them eight weeks to either resolve your complaint or to tell you that they can’t or won’t do any more.
If you’ve been through the solicitors complaints service and your complaint hasn’t been resolved satisfactorily - you can make a complain to the Legal Ombudsman. Contact details are here:
http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/contact-us/
You must make sure you complain to the Legal Ombudsman within six months.
The Legal Ombudsman can make solicitors put right the work they’ve carried out or pay you financial compensation. The range of options open include:
– Making the law firm apologise.
– Making the law firm reduce or refund legal fees.
– Making the law firm put right work it’s already done.
– Making the law firm pay you compensation of up to £30,000. This is for inconvenience, emotional distress and upset and is the maximum payable. In most cases any compensation is likely to be far less.
If you do consider that your bill is too high - then you could consider asking the court to assess your solicitors costs. This is known as detailed assessment.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery