Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

When I moved out of the property I was letting, I have accidentally

When I moved out of the property I was letting, I have accidentally damaged the ceramic equipment in the bathroom - left a small crack. The landlord has tried to repair it himself using ceramic repair kit, however he said the repaired version didn't look good. So he decided to replace it. As a result I have received an invoice from him for the price of a new equipment, costs of installing it and extra rent charge for the weeks it took him to get the equipment after I have moved out (charging a higher rent price, based on what the new tenants would pay). Is that a normal practice?
I wanted to contact the deposit protection scheme to verify with them whether the amount is correct, however I couldn't find any reference number that have been sent to me by letting agent or landlord previously. Is it normal if the deposit is not in dps and if it is normal how am I protected to verify that the price being charged is reasonable?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
If this is an assured short hold tenancy the landlord is legally required to place the deposit in a secure scheme under the Housing Act 2004.
S.214(4) of the Housing Act 2004 requires that a court must order the landlord pay three times the value of the deposit in compensation for failure to place it in a bonded scheme.
Is the bill greater than the deposit?
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AJ,Yes, I am aware of this, but I am not sure whether that means there are no exemptions for landlords not to put money to one of the 3 government backed schemes when you are under assured short hold tenancy agreement?The bill is not greater than the depost but very high. However, what interests me is whether it is normal to charge not just for the damages but for consequences costs as well, especially that the item was in a working condition, i.e. for the replacement costs because the item didn't look as good after repairing, plumbing costs and time it took costs?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
If it is an assured shorthold tenancy there is no reason why it should not have been placed in a bonded scheme. Were you the only occupier of the property?
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
The landlord should have no exemption.
Write to them and explain that you want to challenge the costs through the relevant bonded scheme. If they wont allow you to do this ask for proof of the scheme, and if they still dont provide it to you then you should warn then you will sue them unless they return your deposit and give you a break down of the landlords costs.
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.