Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I am sole executor Brother who died last October. He

I am sole executor for my Brother who died last October. He had no assets. His liability's included the lease on some retail premises which has two years to run. I have paid the outgoings (£13.000) on these premises for the last year and would like to continue to do the same until the lease runs out. Can I put off winding up his affairs until the lease runs out?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Yes you would be perfectly entitled to wait until the accounts have been properly determined as you are the sole executor. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Mr Judge,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Just to expand a little - my brother ran a small business from the leased property and when he died I installed his nephews as the

manager. The business has expanded under his management and is very profitable. I am reluctant to rock the boat at the moment and as the lease only has two years to run I would like to run the business from the premises until the lease ends. Do I read correctly in your reply that I could put off finalising his affairs until date convenient to my self?

Best regards

Chris Meredith

I see. The starting point is what it says about the business in the will. Your options include selling it as going concern, continuing the business and holding it on trust for the deceased’s children (or beneficiaries), or closing the business down and disposing of the assets. I hope this helps. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Again,

Thanks for your reply. I can see there are several ways I could extend the running of the business until the lease runs out.

Positive rate left.

Best regards

Chris Meredith