Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

We had cushion floor fitted in our kitchen/dining room

Customer Question

hello we had cushion floor fitted in our kitchen/dining room and 1 week later noticed that there is a tear in the flooring. Cost for the work was £900 (we cleared the area of all furnishings and replaced after the flooring had been fitted)
We've had the fitter out to see the damage (it wasn't mentioned at the time the covering was fitted) and they've agreed that they are at fault. We've been offered 1) total replacement 2) £150 off the bill
Our query is whether £150 is a fair offer. The thought of emptying the kitchen again and replacing all items again is exhausting.
If we accept the offer to replace the flooring could we reasonably request the floor fitters empty the room and replace items after the work has been completed. Also, either my husband or I will have to take a day annual leave to enable the work to be carried out so should we ask for compensation for this time? Thank you for your help
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Normally even after their error it would be an expectation that you would ensure that the room is clear and empty. This would also from what you have said ensure that they do not damage your property. £150 does not seem a good offer as the flooring is now damaged - it will never meet you requirements or expectations unless it is fully replaced. If they had offered you the footing damaged for £150 less I would imagine that you would have said no - so why accept it now? You would be entitled to a days lose of earning for them coming back. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you this has helped us make our decision and we will be requesting a replacement as indeed we do not want a damaged floor covering. Kindest regards

My pleasure - can you please rate positive for me - thanks