Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I ordered a new kitchen from & Q. They started to fit it

I ordered a new kitchen from B & Q. They started to fit it around 09/09/15 but the end product was poorly fitted. It is not finished yet and I refuse to have the same fitter in my house to continue "bodging" the fit. B & Q say they are very busy up to Christmas and cannot deploy another fitter before Christmas, unless I let the original fitter complete the job. They also say they have paid him for the work done. I do not think that is my problem. How can I progress.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you paying B&Q for both the supply and fit or are you paying the fitter separately as a subcontractor. I think it is the first but I just want to clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am paying B & Q for the supply and fitting.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi you are right that you have the right to expect the fitting to be of a satisfactory standard, this right is under the Supply of Goods and Services Act.
I would suggest you contact your local trading standards department (normally within your local authority) and lodge a complaint. You will be given a reference number you can use in correspondence with B&Q , this will make them realise you are serious.
You should then write to B&Q quoting the reference number to say that you believe that they are in breach of the Supply of Goods and Services Act by failing to ensure that the fitting service is of satisfactory quality. You should say that you are not happy for the same fitter to complete the job as you have no faith and say that you give them 7 days to come up with a satisfactory solution to your problem.
In the event that they don't it may be that you will have to get a quote for an independent fitter and sue them for your losses but I doubt very much it will come to that if you take the action suggested above.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I note you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had every intention of rating the advice; it just was not convenient to do so, immediately upon receipt, as I had an appointment, which I have now completed. Your advice appears to me (layman) sound, succinct and helpful. I will follow it. Thank you.
Malcolm Barlow
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jenny,
Am I right in assuming that although B & Q contract out the work, my signing up in the B & Q store for the product and service, means that my contract is with B & Q and not the sub contracted people?
Malcolm Barlow
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Yes that's right. if you were paying the subcontractors seperately the position would be different.