Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My siblings and I are on student tier 4 visas with a Qatari

Customer Question

My siblings and I are on student tier 4 visas with a Qatari passport. Our 5 year old brother has an American passport and we want him to study and live with us in the UK. Does he need a visa and as tier 4 holders is he able to live with us?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes, your 5 year old brother does need a visa to come and study in the UK. However, he must study at an independent school. This means that he cannot attend or study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school) or further education college. So, whilst in theory your brother can live with you and attend an independent school as a day pupil, you would have to show that you were over 18 and able to look after him. The relevant visa is a Tier 4 (Child) student visa. Be aware that your parent can apply for a Parent of a Tier 4 (child) Student visa to accompany your 5 year old brother whilst he is in the UK.