Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I am a private Tennant lived here years the agreement

I am a private Tennant lived here for four years the agreement between ourselfs the letting agency and landlord only existed for the first 12months. Recently received a letter from new agents who have bought lettings business from old agents saying our contract is due for renewel wrote to them explained there is no contract and asked them to refund our deposit which we should have had returned some 3years ago they are messing us about and won't refund how do we stand legally your advice please
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Are you still in the property and has the deposit been registered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes and yes

The fact is that you have a rolling tenancy - this is quite common.You still have thus a tenancy. You are not entitled to the deposit back until you leave the property. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive