12826847

I CLAIM COUNCIL TAX AND HOUSING BENEFIT. I HAVE SAVINGS OF

I CLAIM COUNCIL TAX AND HOUSING BENEFIT. I HAVE SAVINGS OF £30000 AND THE COUNCIL HAVE JUST UNCOVERED 2 ACCOUNTS AND NOW I UNDERSTAND THAT FOR HOUSING BENEFIT I AM ALLOWED £16000 IN SAVINGS AND ONLY £6000 FOR COUNCIL TAX. WHAT CAN THEY DO TO ME RE MY MONEY
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They cannot touch your savings.
But they can prosecute for benefit fraud and recover the overpayments. If they do prosecute in the criminal courts then they could make a compensation order in the sum of the overpayment to be paid from your savings.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and is there anyway that i can stop them getting all of it or can i say i am holding it for someone else. The thing is i suffer from combat post traumatic stress disorder from serving in the forces and get confused
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not on these facts. You are liable for the overpayment I'm afraid.
They cannot just seize it but if they prosecute they could seek a compensation order.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You can't say you are holding it for somebody else because you are not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could i not just offer the money or overpayment. if it goes to court and i get prosecuted does that mean i wont be able to go to my cousins wedding in the US
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As its housing benefit will it affect my ESA AND DLA benefits too
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You can offer to repay.
That will be helpful mitigation.
It doesn't mean they won't prosecute though I'm afraid.
It will affect ESA but not DLA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and will affect my chances of going to the USA
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you are convicted it will I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they do take me to court will i go to prison ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends on the sum of the overpayment but it is very unlikely unless you have relevant previous convictions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i am convicted does that mean i will never be able to go back to the USA
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, it depends on their view of it.
It does mean you will always have to declare it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am taking that as meaning that going through US immigration I will have to explain that i was convicted of fraud if it comes to that. Is there a possibility that if i declare everything to the council and offer repayment etc they might not take it that far ? sorry for all these questions
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
Yes, they is. They don't prosecute everything.
You cannot rely on that though obviously.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what i have done is close and ISA and put it in a current account so i will disclose that and offer that as payment as well as the account that they know about. I totally forget stuff due to my meds and get confused i will offer up everything for them to take out for any overpayment and hopefully that will possibly sway them from prosecuting me if i am totally honest and up front
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so best thing is be totally up front
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it be worth me finding a solicitor to represent me when i go and see the benefits officer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i take it that this will only be a one off payment and wont be charged each month as i only want this one off consultation