29905560

MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS WERE STOLEN AND MY EMAIL ADDRESS DETAILS

Customer Question

MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS WERE STOLEN AND MY EMAIL ADDRESS DETAILS TAKEN.
I cancelled my card an a new one was issued, My password ***** the email address was changed.
I am now getting emails from a company in germany asking me to pay for an online contract that was opened using my card. I think the name of it is c-date.
Do Ihave to pay this?
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How did they contact you and how much are they afyer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
by the email used on the internet site.
Its 230 euro.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the solicitors are AUER WITTE THIEL in germany
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello
are you ther?
Whilst your details may have been used to create the account on their website, you would not be legally responsible for this because it was not you who personally entered into any sort of agreement with them. You need to have personally done this or used someone who had your permission, however if it was dine through fraud then you would not be responsible for this. You can write back to them and make it very clear that you will not be paying anything because you are not the person who created the account and this was done after your identity was stolen by fraudsters. They cannot force you to pay anything and the only way would be to take you to court and show that you were the person responsible, which would be rather difficult in this case. Also if they are based in Germany they will need to try and transfer any proceedings to the UK and this will be expensive so for the amount of 230 euros I do not see them going that far. They will likely just threaten you and ask you to pay but when it comes to making a claim, it will not be worth their time in the circumstances. So write back once, explain why you are not responsible and ask that you are not contacted any more. Then just let this pass, remembering that you should only be concerned if this goes to court, which as mentioned is unlikely here. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.