Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

My mother died in June this year and we were told before she

My mother died in June this year and we were told before she died that she had written letters to my brother and I that she has left her estate to my two sisters because of their care and compassion over the last few years from 2008 when my father had died. Apparently she changed the will in 2009 only one year after he died however since then my brother and I have been as attentive as possible so we strongly believe my sisters have coerced her during her many illnesses. Her letters to us which we now have are not dated and as we held up the probate we still do not have a copy of the will. My own solicitor believes there is little that can be done as there is little to go on and costs could be prohibitive. he has now allowed the caveat to be withdrawn and probate will now be granted and I know that the will can become available soon. However we feel something has happened due to the very strange behaviour of our sisters and pretending not to know that the will was changed 6 years ago! My solicitor advised no further action which is admirable due to costs but I find that hard to accept and cannot accept just to give up while those two receive around 60k each! I am retired and have just enough savings to live ok for a while so cannot afford fees so any ideas?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Has there been any correspondence with your sisters or the executor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Very little - I am sure they are hiding something, they are using their solicitors to deal and although we put a caveat on it our solicitor said it is not worth pursuing so let them have probate and then at least we can get a copy of the will
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I wait for your next response?
Clearly your solicitor may be right as to the merits of the case but I would have been minded to raise these concerns in correspondence and also put an offer to them to settle the case (before it got costly). The courts have been very critical in recent cases about family members being left out or disadvantages in wills. Happy to discuss - please rate positive