Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I've bought a car from a seller, he told me that he could get

Customer Question

I've bought a car from a seller, he told me that he could get some type of cover that is a one time payment of £4000 so I paid £2000 and promised to pay back the other £2000 and I'm asking for some type of proof like a receipt or a letter just to know that this really exhists but he won't show me until I pay the £2000 I owe; UPDATE: I asked to cancel the cover and just return the money and that I'd find one myself, now he is telling me they don't cancel and I'm getting suspicious that I might have been ripped off, is this possible?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Did you buy it from a dealer or an individual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An individual on Ebay
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
So is the £4000 for the cover or the car? How did you pay and have you received the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The was sold to me for £9995, it arrived. The £4000 was told to me that it was for the cover and he said it was a one time payment
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
So the cover is for what? Insurance? How have you paid was it paypal or by a card?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I made the payment of £1500 through my bank account and the other £500 through PayPal, I was told it was a breakdown cover
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but this does sound like a scam.
£4000 for breakdown cover is excessive in the first place.
You have some protection for the £500 you paid via paypal so you need to notify paypal and also Ebay of the incident.
You also should notify the bank, although if you authorised the transfer there is not much chance that this will be reversed.
You should ask for a full refund. If this is not forthcoming if you are able to get the vendors contact details you should put a money claim in against them for breach of contract.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, do you think I should message them or just file for money claim? The individual is not responding and I feel as though he is ignoring my messages
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
You need to warn him that you will file a moneyclaim if he does not refund the money within 7 days.
You need his address in order to be able to file the claim and can do so at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Please do take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.
many thanks and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one more question, I'm not sure if I have his address, I have a number a bank account just not an address
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
You need to ask Ebay for assistance with this then. I am not surprised he has not disclosed his address to you. Sadly without an address you will not be able to claim against him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now that I think of it he asked for another £1000 for the delivery of the car but never showed me an actual receipt of where the money went, do you have any advice on this situation too?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
If you agreed to that price and the car was delivered there will be nothing you can do about it now as the car has been delivered to you.