12826847

I've moved out of a house I shared with two people. We

Customer Question

Hi, I've moved out of a house I shared with two people. We where all 3 on the contract. Now I have issues with outstanding costs.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo, thanks for your reply.

I moved out of a flat I shared w 2 ppl. We where all on the contract. A new person took over the contract 10/10. I had paid the rent for the month already. According to the landlord, it was between me & the new tenant to sort out the rent for that month & also the deposit. I did a mistake and calculated that the rent was based on 1-31/10 (900/31*22=638). The other tenants asked me to advertise the room for 900/month. But I had only paid 845. The rent was suppose to be based on the period 25-24 oct. Meaning 30 days but he was only paying for 15 days.

I told them that I am happy to reinburse him, but now the other tenants wants the money transferred to them and they claim I can only charged him 845 because I am not suppose to be make a profit (when they are actually the ones that will going forward make a profit).

900 was what we agreed on and I want to transfer the money back to the person that paid the rent. I believe this is between me and him.

Also, we purchased things for the house to a value of £600 and now they are saying that I can't take a third of it neither getting any money for it until the end of February, when they will be moving out.

Can you please help me with this. Many thanks, Sophie

Yes, so what is your question about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My questions is, can the other tenants claim to get the money back or is this between me and the new tenant?

I'm really sorry but I'm not sure I understand what they are hoping to claim?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Also, do I not have right to 1/3 of what we bought together?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for being unclear.

I told the guy to pay me 638 in rent. I based this on 900/30*22.

The right amount should have been 900/30*15=450.

The asked me to advertise the room for 900. But now they are saying the the period between 10-24 Oct I am only allow to base the rent on a monthly rate of £845.

So they want me to pay them back the difference. Even though I agreed with the new tenant that he would pay a daily rent on the basis of £900. Hope its a bit more clear. Thanks, Sophie

Was a new contract signed with the new tenant and the two old?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the new contract is signed with the new tenant via the landlord and I have signed a deed of assignement or something like that. Thanks

In that case, it is for them to sort out.
They should have noticed this before signing a new contract. If they didn't then that is down to them.
There is no claim against you on this basis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you very much. So I had the right to charge him 638? Even though that is more than what we paid the landlord?

Also, can you please advice me on the things we bought together. Do I have the right to 1/3 of it? Many thanks, Sophie

Well, you should have been looking for somebody to pay what you did. But if they have signed and agreement for a different amount then that is down to them. In terms of the things you bought together, it depends what agreement you had on the point. Some things are indivisible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So because we advertised the room for 900 that's what he should be paying? Can I go back to them and say, I'm happy to reinburse the new tentant but then he have to get in touch with me personally?

Well, you should have been looking for somebody to pay what you did.
But if they have signed and agreement for a different amount then that is down to them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The contract only states the full amount (£2345)but we agreed on him paying £900 and he confirmed in writing.

OK.
Then he should be paying £900.