Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

We have a shop with a flat in the centre of town, the owner

We have a shop with a flat in the centre of town, the owner of the adjoining property is systematically trying to damage our property, there is a large crack on there side which is now forcing our back first floor flat wall out causing an ingress of water. We have tried to negociate with the owners, they seem to be skirting around issues and using delaying tactics. We have heard the words compusary purchase mentioned more than once.What can we do about he damage ?
regards
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
You would need to get a surveyor to come and evaluate the damage and also the blame. You would need the surveyor to state that the damage is being caused by the neighbour and then you can bring a claim against them for compensation. I would also advise your insurers as to the damage to the property as you may be insured to cover such damage. Happy to discuss and please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

.Thank you for your advice, we have had to re- insure as our insurance became void.The owner of the property adjoining is an associate of the insurance broker. I found this out as my insurance became void because I informed the brokers of the damage caused by the neighbour,Would you get an out of town surveyor if you were us.

In light of your concerns I think I would to be on the safe side and certainly one with a sound reputation. I hope this helps. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will I need a solicitor, when I get the surveyor`s report ? If so, Which type specialist solicitor would you recomend.

You may need a solicitor - I would be looking for one who specialises in property litigation or civil litigation. I hope this helps - please rate positive - thanks