29905560

Good afternoon! In my student accommodation I am paying 299

Good afternoon! In my student accommodation I am paying 299 per week. I have just found out that their official rates lowered to 230 per week, and all other people in the building are paying less for the same type of room. They wouldn't let me talk to the main manager, or wouldn't even give me his email address. They said its a "special offer" for different students, but 230 is the official rate on the website at the moment. I signed my contract in April or March, but now they changed their rates. They offered me two weeks off as a discount, which would be 600 pounds, whereas I need to pay 4 thousand less per year. What should I do in this situation?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.when you signed your contract was the rate 299 and were you advised of that at the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am staying at this accommodation for the second year now. Last year I was paying 289, but then when I was asking for a new contract they said they raised the price and now from now on it would be 299. At the same time, after June/July (I am not sure when exactly) they changed the rates into a lower price. If they are offering me a discount now it seems like they know they are doing something not very legal. The receptionist called the manager in front of me and wouldn't let me talk to him. I have his email now, because other people helped me out with that.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, what matters in this situation is what rate you had agreed to rent the accommodation at as that is what you would be contractually obliged to pay. I am afraid it does not matter if the rate has since been reduced or if everyone else is on a lower rate. They are not obliged to keep everyone on the same rates sand there could be a difference between what one person pays and what another one pays, even if they are getting exactly the same accommodation. So they are not doing anything illegal. You have a contract at the rate of 299 and that is what was agreed with you and them and you are obliged to continue paying that rent. They could have lowered the rent the next day if they wanted to and offered it to others and they would have entered into a contract for that lower rent and be required to pay it, but that does not mean your rent should be lowered too. So from a legal perspective they are not doing anything illegal, although it does not stop you from trying to negotiate with them to get a reduction.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you