29905560

Can a person claim compensation cheated out of money

Can a person claim compensation for being cheated out of money 15 years ago if the person at fault died 8 years ago
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How were you cheated out of the money and who would you be suing now if the person is dead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter is claiming that her late father made a profit when he renovated and sold a house she owned. I wonder if she could claim compensation from his estate, therefore me.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
So is she claiming that he secretly made a profit from the sale and did not tell her about it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes exactly.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
From a civil law perspective she would be too late to claim as a claim would have had to be made within 6 years of the alleged actions taking place. If this happened 15 years ago then it is way out of time now. Depending on what happened this could also be a criminal issue in terms of theft or fraud but the police are unlikely to investigate this and take it further if the person has died and there is no personal culpability by someone who is still alive. The main issue would have been the civil claim which is now out of time to be pursued. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you