12826847

Could the following be regarded as blackmail? As you state,

Could the following be regarded as blackmail?
As you state, "x" Ltd is contractually liable for the current year's subscription of £1,200.00 plus VAT. However, if we had realised that we had to give 3 months notice of cancellation, this would have been done, and surely someone from your organisation should have reminded us? I suggest that as a gesture of goodwill, that you discount the year's subscription as we will not be using your service, otherwise this will leave a bad taste, which I am liable to share with my colleagues at the FD Centre - have a look at the FD Centre's website.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is there any reason you think it might?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a look at the Theft Act
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If would appear that the threat "menaces" are unless you give us a discount we will "bad mouth" you to others in our organisation
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No. That is something a person is perfectly free to do.
'Menaces' have been considered pretty heavily by the case law and they involve people who have done things like attend family homes with petrol powered chain saw with engine turned on to encourage repayment of debt. Another favourite is a threat to place a compromising photograph on the internet.
A threat to tell others of an adverse experience is not blackmail I'm afraid. This is just not a menace.
Sorry if that is bad news.
can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that's fine many thanks