12826847

What steps would you take when investigating an anonymous allegation

What steps would you take when investigating an anonymous allegation of Social housing Fraud?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What methods would you use to investigate the allegation of social housing fraud
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What steps would you take when investigating an anonymous allegation of Social Housing and Council Tax Fraud?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am an Investigator and I have to do presentation on Social Housing Fraud band how to investigate this type of fraud
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
OK.
I'm not sure what you are seeking?
This is a question and answer site for legal questions. We don't conduct investigations or advice upon how they should be performed.
I can probably tell you common methods but it is not a definitive guide.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me common methods that would used please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could with a reply by 11.00am this morning please as I am just carving out a presentation
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Common methods really depend on the nature of the notification but if it is something like a person has not declared that she has a partner living with her and sharing expenses then it is fairly straight forward.
Usually they would check all the places one would expect to find official registration - voting registration with the council, if he is in work and named then taxation documents etc.
If they have children together then they would check at the school if he is a named parent and where he is said to be living.
One option if he is named is to check with the DVLA whether he is the registered keeper of any vehicle and if so attend the property and see if a matching vehicle is present. If so, draw a line with chalk around it in the evening and then return in the morning to see if it is still within that line. If so, it gives rise to the inference he has spent the night there. That is fairly rare in the grand scheme of things because one night alone really proves nothing. We all have people over occasionally. There needs to be several nights at week. I suppose if the target vehicle were repeatedly outside the address though that would give rise to an inference.
They can conduct surveillance but they don't have the resources for that really.
If they know the name of the partner they would check which address he has registered at work.
It is possible to check with the post office whether he is receiving post there.
If his vehicle is registered to that address with the DVLA then that is fairly strong evidence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo
Your answer does not help, your answer relates to a Living Together situation not a Social Housing Fraud question.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is usually the basis of a social housing fraud?
That is what a social housing fraud is?