Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I visited a website where people would post pictures of nude

I visited a website where people would post pictures of nude girls in our area. I never posted any photographs but commented once or twice. I have not visited the site for a long time but heard that the police had been notified, can I get arrested even though I did not post any photographs?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I assume you have read the message?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Were they adult females or children? Were the pictures posted with their consent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adult females and these were people who I had assumed taken them without consent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not post any material on there like I said.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
OK. I don't see why the police would want to visit you. If you have viewed images of nude adult females presumably posted with their consent, that is not a crime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe the pictures were with the consent of the girls in them that's what I mean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe these girls had either sent them to people who later uploaded them to the internet or who had uploaded the pictures themselves to private sites.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to contact the website to have my comments removed but to no avail.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
What did you say in the post?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I usually asked if there were anymore pictures of the girls I knew.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not state any personal information nor want to download or use the photographs, it was more of curiosity
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
It is illegal to post images of nude girls without their consent but viewing them is not illegal unless you were knowingly in on the crime. Viewing & posting what appear to be innocent messages is still not a crime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So although I viewed the images and posted on the website, because I never posted photographs I am in the clear? Do the police have right to question me or track my IP address? And what do you mean by knowingly in on the crime?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I'm curious about how these photos were taken without consent. Are you talking about a peeping tom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm talking about girls who have sent nude photographs of themselves to guys who have them uploaded them to the internet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or girls who have posted lewd pictures of themselves to instagram or blogs and have been taken by people and posted elsewhere.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
You haven't done anything illegal. The person who posted the images may have committed a crime but you have not. Knowingly means - if you knew the other person was involved in some criminal activity and you helped them or encouraged them in some way then you could be prosecuted. But viewing something that somebody else has posted wouldn't lead to a prosecution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is asking for more pictures classed as encouragement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if these people posted them from another social media outlet such as facebook or instagram, would they still be counted as committing a crime?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
What you've described seems to be common place these days.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
No, that is not encouragement because based on the other information you've just give me (e.g. the images were taken from other websites so they were already in the public domain) no crime has been committed here.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
There might be a breach of privacy or some civil case between the woman and the person who copied her image but that is not a crime in this country.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to receive this conversation as a file to keep in case the worst were to happen? Also are the police allowed to track my IP address?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This country being the United Kingdom just to clarify.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
The police couldn't track the IP address but in some cases they could get it from the website owner. Usually that would happen in child porn cases.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I'm in Hertfordshire if that helps.
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That does, this has all helped. I suffer from terrible anxiety so I wanted to clear things up so I can stop feeling so ill. I was worried that the police would attempt to track me down but even I have tried to contact the website owner but to no luck.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
It was my pleasure. I just can't see why the police would accuse you of committing a crime - you were viewing images posted by someone else and so long as they are not children, you haven't done anything wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Alice, you have been a great hlep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully this will put my mind at ease, could this conversation be used incase the worse were to happen.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
You wouldn't be able to use this conversation in your defence if that's what you mean - this is an informal discussion with no client/solicitor retaltionship.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay but I guess it's a piece of mind anyway.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But if what you said is correct (which I take it is!) I won't be needing it for any defence.