Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

If i owe money in the usa which i dispute can i be prosecuted

if i owe money in the usa which i dispute can i be prosecuted in the uk
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
You can not be prosecuted in the UK for a debt in the US. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can they do i still owe a hospital £120000 for removing my wifes cancer
i have paid them £60000 whilst there, however we have just returned home and found my wife still has many of the original tumours still in her liver that we were told were removed and her prognosis is now very very poor
Ok. I see - the hospital can look to recover the debt in the UK should they choose. You may wish to locate lawyers in the US if you think that the hospital has been negligent (they are more litigious in the US). You will not be prosecuted for not paying the debt but they can bring a claim in the civil courts for the recovery of the 'debt'. I hope this helps. Please rate positive
Happy to discuss but please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOT SURE WHETHER TO SIT TIGHT AND SEE WHAT THEY DO OR CHASE THEM, OR EVEN THREATEN THEM WITH MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE GIVING ANY MONEY GOT BACK TO CHARITY THE TRAGIC THING IS MY WIDE WILL PROBABLY BE DEAD IN A FEW WEEKS, SHE DOSN'T WANT THEM TO GET AWAY WITH IT OR DO IT TO ANYONE ELSE
It is a very difficult decision - presumably they have your UK address and as such you wish to be proactive particularly with regard to your US options on negligence. Happy to discuss but please rate positive