75100385

My son's father, who had been on benefits due to mental and

My son's father, who had been on benefits due to mental and physical health problems for many years, recently died leaving a surprisingly large sum of money! So we assume he hadn't been declaring his savings while claiming these benefits.( Amongst other problems he was schizophrenic and claims will have been made with social service help ) DWP are claiming back the overpayments. My sons concern is that about 5 years ago he was given £50000 from hid father, apparently a windfall from his dad's relative, to help buy a house. If there is a shortfall of money owed to the DWP will the son be liable to pay back part or all of this 50k?
Many Thanks
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
No. Your son wont be liable for any debts of his father.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. ( My son is also the executor.)Does this mean that the DWP will write off the shortfall despite the fund received from his Dad, which would be considered an asset of the father at time of ineligible benefit claim? can't ever be claimed back by DWP?Sorry if I'm not expressing this well!

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.