13262538

My ex husband has died I had divorced him after 10 years of

My ex husband has died I had divorced him after 10 years of marriage and since remarried He died intestate and left a substantial amount of money in a joint bank account of which i was the other signature of which he never changed.His relations of whom he hadn,t seen for years are claiming all the money.Do I have any rights ?
Regards ***** *****
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.For clarity - the account was still clearly held in Joint names and he continued to operate it as such?Where did the funds in the account come from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think it was from an insurance policy can,t be sure iI remembering him saying that if anything happened to him I would be ok for money.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you need anymore information?

Do you know when the money went into the account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don,t know he died on the 8th of November last year and i found out in June.

So you do not know how long the money had been thereWhen was the divorce?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was divorced in July 1991

The real question will be how long the money has been thereIf it is for more than a year or so then it can be assumed that your ex was well aware of the funds and chose to leave them in an account that would pass to you outside of the WillHowever if there is any evidence that this i not what he intended then yes it will revert to the estate.The onus is on the Estate to prove this - not you!Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just in your opinion is it worth pursuing and if so would you recommend a specialist colleague bearing in mind he left no will?

Yes I do think it is worth asking for the Statements (as a joint account holder) and seeing when the money was paid in.Once you have that information let me know and we can discuss it further