LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I rented a property to a friend, had tenancy agreement but

i rented a property to a friend, had tenancy agreement but let her off with paying all the rent until she had sorted out financially better, she claimed full rent from housing benefit. she had previously lent me some money which i was paying back monthly, she left my property, took a pony i was loaning her, without its passport, and left a scrap car and total mess in fields etc, according to the tenancy agreement and her claim to the housing benefit she left owing rent, i have stopped paying back the loan as this offsets what was owed in rent and the cost of the pony, her partner is now threatening me, i have notified the police but how do i stand legally?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
OK so sh ha gone, wing rent but has taken your pony and left a mess you need to clean up. What is the difference between the amount she owes you in unpaid rent + clean up costs + taken pony. What is the value of what you owe her in unpaid debt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she owed 10400 for 6 mths rent as per the tenancy agreement, she paid a total of 8360.63 which includes some sent direct from housing benefit, so 2039.37 outstanding, I borrowed 6000 originally and have paid back 3550 leaving 2450 owing, the pony is valued at 1000 and it will cost me in excess of 1500 to repair fields and clear shed/barns etc so I have suggested that I will transfer the pony to them and we call it quits, letter sent attached
I don't think that is what your letter says but it seems like a sensible proposal to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I left the letter at the final figures as they hadn't moved or stolen the pony by then so have now made adjustments accordingly, am I within my rights to do that? I know you gave t seen tenancy agreement but it's a standard AST for £400 pw, they used it to claim housing so would you now say we're square?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have emailed again stating they are going to "sell" the debt on...as I've told you I don't think I owe them anything, can they "sell" this sort of thing or is it only small claims court they can try?
In theory they can sell the debt to a factor, but I doubt if one would be interested in this. This does sound like a small claims situation.