ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

I drove my bus into the wrong lane and had to brake hard to

I drove my bus into the wrong lane and had to brake hard to avoid a low height barrier, as a result two children claimed they received whiplash injuries...I have no idea why I took the wrong lane as I use this Park and Ride daily ... I may have blanked out or had a micro sleep at the wheel but couldn't say for sure. My company is taking disciplinary action against me and I would like to know how I can prepare for the inquiry
There was no damage to the barrier or the bus only the effects of hard braking on these two children.
I think that you accept the error, so the key for your defence is how you explain or justify what you did wrong - this could be by providing photos of where the incident took place, a letter from your GP. They would simply want to understand what happened. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Obviously I take full responsibility for the accident but I don't know why it happened ...I can only assume it was a micro sleep or something like that as I can't explain why I followed into the wrong lane but I was not aware I was tired but there is a gap in my memory as to how I got into the wrong lane. At my disciplinary should I mention any of this or just play stupid and say I can't explain it.

I would obviously be honest - but stick to what you know rather than any guesses.