12826847

I work TV company driving a Luton van to France

Customer Question

hello I work for a TV company driving a Luton van to France and back to London with goods brought for the show by contestants for resale on the uk
can you tell me 1 are we limited to 60mph on motorways in a 3.5ton and also do we need the CPC to drive like this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay.
If your laden weight is over 2 tonnes but under 7.5 tonnes then you are limited to 60 mph on dual carriageways but not on motorways.
You do need the CPC though if you are driving in the course of your paid employment and this is a goods vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey jo, thank you,
When is it classed as a goods vehicle?
We drive to France in a hired Luton 3.5 ton and pick up the items to then be sold in the UK as part of the show?
Also as we are driving as per a job that requires a lot of driving should we have tac graphs in place?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You will find a very helpful site here
http://www.transportsfriend.org/road/definitions.html
but a goods vehicle is defined as any vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage of goods.
Tac graphs arise in limited circumstances. You will find the test here
https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/goods-vehicles
You are not covered by EU rules. BUT you don't fall within the exemptions so it seems to me that you probably should have tac graphs but see whether the exemptions apply to you.