Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I sent a package through the royal mail , it arrived in

Customer Question

Hi, I sent a package through the royal mail , it arrived in 6 pieces . Firstly i looked at their
packing procedure, which i carried out. I then put on the box fragile tape all around the
parcel, also i wrote on the parcel in felt pen "very fragile " on back and front.
when i got to the post office , the man recommended special delivery guaranteed. He said
that the parcel was to be man handled at all times , i have a witness who heard him say
that. I then wrote to complain . The letter i had back ,said that they were not going to compensate me because the item had not been packaged in accordance with royal mails
guidelines.I wrote back and told them i had, and sent them pictures of the box ,the packaging and all the broken pieces. I had another letter back saying my manager and i feel that your claim was dealt with appropriately. what can i do now. thank you
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What was the value of the item and were you offered any insurance for handling it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The value to replace is about £2500 , i insured it with royal mail for a max of £550.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
so are they refusing to even pay the £550? and is that the amount you consider to be in dispute?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes . but the royal mail has not mentioned any compensation.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** paid for insurance and you packed the parcel in accordance with their instructions then they should pay you compensation.
You should write them a letter before action to say that they are in breach of contract for failing to compensate you in accordance with the terms of the insurance they advised you took out.
You should say that if you are not compensated accordingly within 7 days you will have no alternative but to bring a small claim.
You can bring this claim at money claim online. www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you , i will send them another letter . Thanks again Steve

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
No problem all the best