12826847

I'm being accused of consorting with a minor, what should I

Customer Question

I'm being accused of consorting with a minor, what should I do?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In late 2012 I met a girl online whom she lied about her age whilst posing as an 18 year old and sent me nude pictures. At that time I was 17 and upon finding out her true identity I ceased to remain in contact with her for quite some time thereafter. She then messaged me back and asked to kindle a friendship. I agreed and we developed a strong friendship. However, the friendship turned into a informal relationship with no sexual relations whatsoever. To date I'm 20 and she's 16. Her aunt has now accused me of being abusive and harrassing this individual as well as being sexual in context of conversations we've had.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Have the police been called?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not that I know of

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Will the girl give evidence against you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, but her aunty has her phone and took charge of all of her accounts.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, she may have but unless she is going to make a statement against you this isn't going anywhere.
Even if they find the nude image they cannot prove anything unless they can show that you knew she was under 18 and also you seem to have deleted the image which is another favourable point on the caselaw.
I wouldn't worry about this. This is just the type of nonsense that professional victims come up with when they hear the ringing of the tills.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the response. If an image is found what should I do in terms of justifying it? Should I simply state my point of having no knowledge of her age?

Regards,

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I thought you had deleted them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have but if they're found as part of a forensic investigation? recovered deleted pictures?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They are not going to recover images that you have deleted from two years ago.
I wouldn't worry about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There was a specific image that was on a disused device which I deleted a few months ago, what about this?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They could recover that.
Surely you would have known her age then?
I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wasn't aware the image was on the device - it was in a folder. Perhaps it's something I should mention later on. Also this girl currently lives in the US and I'm in the UK - if a case is established what would I need to do?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
In that case it will come to nothing.
The aunt might try to blackmail you for money not to report this. That is a well know scam in the UK.
She will have to come to the Uk to report it which she won't do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank goodness. It certainly sounded like a scam since the beginning, especially as she made many unjust accusations. However she made claims of extraditing me and other ridiculous things?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is possible in theory but not for a low level offence of possession.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So there's no need to worry on my part. Is there anything else I should be researching around the area? The aunty is still communicating with me asking questions - should I ignore her?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, just ignore her.
I couldn't say it is impossible that there could be something to worry about but it is not likely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Furthermore, she has information about the medical school I attend and threatens to contact them. What do I do in this case?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
As I have said, there is no need to do anything unless the police contact you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
All the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

The mother has sent me a text which includes texts that she considers inappropriate, though they were intended as a joke. What should I do in the case that it's presented against me?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
As I have said, just ignore them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There's one image and a conversation that she's claiming to present against me. I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that you've already answered but worst case scenario what could I expect to happen?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If they find that image then there is action that could be taken.
But she will have to come to the UK to make a report and support a prosecution.
Also, they might not find it. I would be surprised if they are prepared to forensically examine for just one alone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry if I'm asking too much into it. It's just the way that she's causing me so much emotional unrest is preventing me from carrying on with my other duties. If she was to come to the UK and report it what would the procedure from there on? Also what do you mean by supporting a prosecution? and finally, what would be the criteria for forensic examination?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm nor wht you mean by procedure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How would she report it if she was to arrive in the UK?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
To attend a police station.
She could report it remotely from the States but she would have to come to the UK at some point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's been confirmed she only has few texts which do not imply anything sexual however there is some inappropriate joking. Do you think this is enough to make a claim against me?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No. That is not an image.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
All the best.