Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I own a top floor flat in a block of 6 and recently

I own a top floor flat in a block of 6 and recently the roof was leaking water in to my property. My landlord of the block is beyond useless and we are already in dispute over other charges he makes to the block.
I took the action to have the roof repaired at my own cost, as the landlord was not responding to phone calls and messages.
Can I claim this money back from the landlord? I am due to pay ground rent in January which is conveniently exactly the same amount it cost to repair the roof.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. You have the right apply any monies due in rent to necessary repairs to tenanted property. Accordingly, you can apply the costs of repairing the roof to any rent you owe the landlord. This is because a tenant has a common law right to apply any rent due to a landlord to necessary repairs to the tenanted property. Here, as it was necessary to repair the roof, you can apply the costs incurred by you in repairing the roof to the rent due. Have available receipts for the work done so you can send them with any letter to the landlord so the landlord may see what the repairs were. Transparency is key.