Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

Good Afternoon. My daughter has recently split up with her

Customer Question

Good Afternoon. My daughter has recently split up with her Fiance (he instigated this), they have a house that they live in but the mortgate is in her name. He paid the deposit on the mortgage but since they moved in they have shared the bills etc and have been living in the house for 6 months (the deposit was 6k). She has come back to her parents house in the initial break up stage but he is refusing to move out and is asking for 15k from us which of course we don't have. What do we do? Any advice would be appeciated, in the meantime I have advised her that she needs to go back into the house.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I agree that she should if safe go back into the house. You would need to value the house - presuming that the intention was for the house to be owned 50-50 after the return of the deposit. They should get a couple of agents to obtain a valuation and then offset the actual cost of redeeming the mortage and sale fees - to actually work out if there is any equity. Throwing figures around does not really help. Happy to discuss - please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thomas, if we get to a point where we can agree a sum with him rather than have a valuation, do we need to get anything in writing from him I guess to pay him off. It is a real mess, we have paid deposits for thw wedding which was next July and trying to get some of those back but to be honest he is not taking any of this into consideration. He actually locked her out of the house yesterday because he knew she was going round with her Father

I would suggest that a short document confirming that he has not further rights to the property would be fine. Well she is allowed back into the property (it is in her name) and if he changes the locks then she can change them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for your help Thomas

my pleasure