12826847

My employer arranged to attend an NVQ course on Saturday

Customer Question

My employer arranged for me to attend an NVQ course on Saturday mornings in my own time - due to work commitments (working Saturdays for my employer or working away and arriving back late on Friday nights) I've missed a lot of the course and my attendance is sporadic. However I'm ahead of my work colleagues who are on the same course but my boss is always complaining about my lack of attendance. I've contacted the lecturer the last couple of weekends as Ive not attended as my grandfather was seriously ill in hospital (he died last Friday) and my aunts in hospital and may have to have open heart surgery.
On Monday (26/10) my employer told me I was off the course as I hadn't attend on the last two Saturday's - I had been working away but had also visited my relatives in hospital. My boss sai I owed him £2,600 for the course which he would deduct from my wages.
When I agreed to take on the course my boss said if I left the company I would have to pay him back but no plan was put in place at that time and it wasn't on the contract I signed.
Today my boss is saying he will take £250 a month from my wages when I said I didn't agree he came back with a deduction of £100 which I have said I don't agree with either. He won't meet with me to discuss it but is just calling me when I'm at work or texting me - I still want to do the course and none of my workmates attend regularly one guy hasn't attended for 6 months. I asked my boss to wait as at the moment I've got my grand ads funeral to think about and also my family is caring for my aunts autistic son but my boss said what was going on in my personal life had no bearing on work life - I don't know what to do.
I can't afford to have my wages docked in this way and I didn't agree to it but it's happening anyway. My boss can be temperamental - one minute your his favourite employee and the next you can't do anything right. I'm a senior engineer at the firm but because I had a problem 18 months ago on a job I was doing he now pays me less than the apprentice if he docks my wages I'm going to struggle to pay my bills
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
10 years
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you