ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

Can a UK employer insist that I take annual leave during "Christmas

Can a UK employer insist that I take annual leave during "Christmas week" when the business is non-operative? There is no mention of this in my contract of employment. I am perfectly happy to have the three days at home unpaid - but they are "insisting" that I keep three days to cover this period. We receive the minimum leave allowance (28 days including Bank Holidays) As I now work part time, if this "rule" is imposed, I will not have sufficient allowance to have four weeks holiday (once Bank Holidays are taken into account).
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
I am sorry to tell you that the working time regulations make it possible for employers to specify when in the year the leave must or must not be taken or how many days can be taken at a time. Thus in your case - your employer can insist holidays are taken at an annual Christmas shutdown.
Your employer needs to give you notice if they want you to take your annual leave at a particular time. The amount of notice has to be twice the amount of time that your employer wants you to take off. For example - if they want you to take 4 days off - then they must give you 8 days notice. Thus - as your employer is informing you now that they want you to take time off in December - they are complying with the notice period.
I am sorry that this is not what you want to hear - but I have to be honest.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.