12826847

I entered into a verbal contract in July 2015 whereby

Customer Question

I entered into a verbal contract in July 2015 whereby Gary, a workman at the marina where I keep my wooden yacht, undertook to carry out renovation work in exchange for my motorcycle. Gary initiated the proposal and I clarified that his employer had no concerns about him doing the work in his own time which was agreed. Gary immediately had use of the motorcycle and commenced work. Statements were made about taking a week off work to undertake my work in addition to carrying out work in the evenings and at weekends. The contract had benefits to both parties and I entered into the contract in good faith permitting transfer of ownership and use of the motorcycle in advance of the work being started. The scope of the work was agreed verbally. In the event only part of the work has been completed and some of that without 'reasonable care and skill' and not to a 'satisfactory quality' or being 'fit for purpose'. I saw 'time being of the essence of the contract' although a completion date was only implied and not specifically stated. Gary now refuses to complete the work or return the motorcycle.
Do I have a claim for breach of contract and am I within my rights to claim compensation/damages under the terms of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982?
Kind regards,
John Moreton
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
How much is your loss please?