75100385

I'm asking on behalf of my parents - they employed a 'builder'

Customer Question

I'm asking on behalf of my parents - they employed a 'builder' in 1985 to carry out some work on their roof. He did but my father felt the work was sub-standard and asked the advice of a separate surveyor who agreed (in writing) that the work was shoddy. My father then asked someone else to finish off the work. In the meantime, the original builder was demanding settlement of his invoice for £325.00, but my father said he would not pay because of the poor workmanship. Now, 30 years later this builder (who lives in the same village as my parents) has written a threatening letter to them demanding payment or action if bailiffs.
Please advise.
C Maltby
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
He has no chance. He has 6 years under the Limitation Act 1980 to bring a claim. This means he had until 1991. It is now time barred. This is an absolute defence - its just too late.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, my concern is that he is an unstable character and might become violent. Surely he must appreciate that he no longer has a valid claim, and, if so, how do we ensure he backs off and stops frightening my parents.
Thankyou.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If that happens you should report it to the Police. This could be harassment, so report it.
Do you have a number we can chat on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course : 01962 779614
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Calling now.