12826847

I self published five books through Pen Press of Brighton,

Customer Question

I self published five books through Pen Press of Brighton, who went bust last year. They advised that their authors transfer to Author Essentials, which I did. A.E. published book no. 6 (no complaints there) and charged me £508. to take over responsibility for the previous five books. Lynn Ashman was a director of Pen Press.
Although the A.E. contract promised quarterly royalty statements, I have received nothing from them.
Following the unexpected death last May of Caroline Walsh, C.E.O. and founder of Author Essentials two years ago, the office closed for a month, with their promise to catch up when they returned. Since then, they are not replying to emails or phone messages. I sent Recorded Delivery letters to both their trading address in Falmer and their registered address in Tooting, London. The first is being Returned to Sender and the second was signed for with a signature I don't recognise. Both addresses are blocks of flats.
I have contacted the Society of Authors, who are also trying to get in touch with them.
The print-on-demand printers know nothing.
Companies House have informed me that their annual accounts were due in July. They are now on their third and final warning and, if the accounts are not received, the company will be struck off their register, though a creditor can delay this procedure.
From the Land Registry I have discovered that both Caroline and Lynn are (were) joint owners of the trading address in Falmer.
Companies House say the company is still registered as Active but Lynn Ashman resigned as director in May (though the notification was dated September 2015) and is now a director of a company owning a tavern in Peacehaven. This looks like a fraud.
I am not concerned with any money they may owe me, which is likely to be very little, but I do want my print files back as they are my property and my copyright.
How should I go about getting them back?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do you have any idea how much is owed to you?