How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70292
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have received a demand 'mistaken payment' by a bank

Resolved Question:

I have received a demand for a 'mistaken payment' by a bank into my account. This occurred in March 2012 for the sum of £1600. Do I have to repay it and if so do I have to repay it in one payment as the bank wants? If I can pay in instalments, how little can I pay per month?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I presume you accept receiving payment and it not being due?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a double payment made. One in my name (as it was a transfer from another account) and another with my name reversed, ie surname, first name.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Then you are liable to repay I'm afraid.They are entitled to the money immediately. There is no way around it.They may accept payment in instalments. It depends. Banks will quite often just seize funds that are in your account unfortunately. They can be quite heavy handed. You can always open another account wth a dfferent bank and make all deposits to that to avoid that but you are
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
liable to pay for any payments received that were not due.Sorry if that is bad news.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do switch bank accounts, will that make it easier to negotiate payments by instalments?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Only in that they cannot just help themselves to funds in your account. It doesn't change anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.All the best. Please remember to rate my answer.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you