12826847

I have received a demand 'mistaken payment' by a bank

I have received a demand for a 'mistaken payment' by a bank into my account. This occurred in March 2012 for the sum of £1600. Do I have to repay it and if so do I have to repay it in one payment as the bank wants? If I can pay in instalments, how little can I pay per month?
I presume you accept receiving payment and it not being due?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was a double payment made. One in my name (as it was a transfer from another account) and another with my name reversed, ie surname, first name.
Ok. Then you are liable to repay I'm afraid.They are entitled to the money immediately. There is no way around it.They may accept payment in instalments. It depends. Banks will quite often just seize funds that are in your account unfortunately. They can be quite heavy handed. You can always open another account wth a dfferent bank and make all deposits to that to avoid that but you are
liable to pay for any payments received that were not due.Sorry if that is bad news.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I do switch bank accounts, will that make it easier to negotiate payments by instalments?
Only in that they cannot just help themselves to funds in your account. It doesn't change anything else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help.
No problem.All the best. Please remember to rate my answer.