12826847

I have received a demand 'mistaken payment' by a bank

I have received a demand for a 'mistaken payment' by a bank into my account. This occurred in March 2012 for the sum of £1600. Do I have to repay it and if so do I have to repay it in one payment as the bank wants? If I can pay in instalments, how little can I pay per month?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I presume you accept receiving payment and it not being due?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a double payment made. One in my name (as it was a transfer from another account) and another with my name reversed, ie surname, first name.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Then you are liable to repay I'm afraid.They are entitled to the money immediately. There is no way around it.They may accept payment in instalments. It depends. Banks will quite often just seize funds that are in your account unfortunately. They can be quite heavy handed. You can always open another account wth a dfferent bank and make all deposits to that to avoid that but you are
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
liable to pay for any payments received that were not due.Sorry if that is bad news.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do switch bank accounts, will that make it easier to negotiate payments by instalments?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Only in that they cannot just help themselves to funds in your account. It doesn't change anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.All the best. Please remember to rate my answer.