Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

If a document about persons mental assessment is found while

If a document about persons mental assessment is found while clearing out a house and the finder returns it to the owners establishment/home, does not share it with anyone, is this classed as a breach of data protection. Is there a new law which could mean the finder is charged with the breach.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. I can't see that any criminal offence has been committed - why does the policeman think there is an offence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know he is coming to speak about this at some point over this weekend. The document was handed into the owners property and owners partner opened it and read it. The item was handed to the partner but had the owners name very clearly printed on the front..
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
OK - so as I understand it - you found a document belonging to someone else and returned it to the rightful owner without doing else with it? That is no crime neither is it s breach of the data protection act.