75100385

Can I legally leave a property that I have rented if the gas

Customer Question

Can I legally leave a property that I have rented if the gas safety check failed and the boiler was deemed unsafe? I moved in 2 weeks ago and paid 12,500 pounds in advance rent. My landlord has already refused to remedy damp works that I discovered when I moved in. I feel unsafe in this property and want to leave but will I be entitled to get my rent and deposit back?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
When did you move in? Is the landlord repairing or replacing it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved in on 16th October. The landlord has not said if they will rectify the issue. According to the gas inspector, the job is a huge one. I doubt very much that the landlord will agree to do the necessary work, as I asked him to fix the damp problem and have not had a response. If he does not do the work to fix the gas problem, am I within my rights to leave and get my money back? Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. In that case yes you can cancel. This is because you can't use an unsafe boiler and the landlord has to provide hot water and heating.
So yes you can cancel this is it is breach of contract.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The landlord is getting a quote to have the flue fixed - it will be weeks before we have hot water. What are my rights please? Can I end the tenancy? Thank you
Juliet
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can end because its not done. The law says you MUST have hot water and heating.