12826847

Will i lose my UK teachers pension if i am convicted of historic

Will i lose my UK teachers pension if i am convicted of historic child sex abuse and go to prison?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am due to stand trial in Jan. on charges of historic child sex abuse. The allegations have been made by 4 former 10 year old girl pupils from the same school that i sexually abused them during 1979 - 1980. I know that i will forfeit my old age state pension if found guilty and given a prison sentence. Will my teachers pension also be affected?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but it will.
Actually I don't see why your stage pension would be affected. People with criminal records can still claim a means tested benefit like everybody else.
But anything accrued during the course of your work would probably be affected. It does depend on the terms of your former employer's pension but usually there is scope to remove it in the event of a criminal conviction arising from your employment.
I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
For what it is worth, I don't see the point of prosecuting these historical cases either. The conviction rate is minute because most of them are false or weak claims, the cost is huge and it diverts resources away from proper crime with real victims who haven't waited forty years to declare themselves when memories are affected and evidence is lost. Also, who don't hide behind anonymity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If convicted would my pension be re-instated upon release from prison ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not if you are convicted. If you are convicted then they could refuse to payout as it was an offence committed during the course of your employment. Depends on the terms but sometimes they do that. The post office generally refuse to pay at all if a postmen is convicted of theft whilst in the course of his employment.
Your state pension will be reinstated.