12826847

I have just been caught shoplifting to the value

Hi I have just been caught shoplifting for good to the value of £300. I am 43 and never done anything like this before. I don't know why I did it but I took a basket with me to the baby changing room (as I have in past and paid for all items) to feed my 3 month old and now you have to pay for bags I had store bags from previous purchases to reuse. Having sat there for 45 mins feeding my baby I put the items into the store bag. I did however pay for other items in the same store and have no idea why I didn't these ones. The police were called and I have to go in this week as I had my baby with me. I am worried I will be a criminal record and it will effect my work as I'm a contractor and most of my work you have to have a disclosure carried out. Will I go to court?
Did they recover the goods?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes they did. The police also mention something about contact social service. I am so ashamed as I am a professional women, own house and business and wS just so stupid
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The officer called me earlier as I'm a single mum about getting child care who hen I come in and did I want to speak with a solicitor which I would to find out what will happen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I have a reply please. Thank you
Were the goods in saleable condition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I don't understand your question as the goods were In saleable condition as I had only left the shop. They were candles, card and two scarfs. I am waiting for a reply to my first question which I have been waiting just over an hour.
I will need the proper information or the answer will be wrong.
This does not sound like £300 worth of goods? This answer will only be right if you give me all the information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry but the information I have provided to you is correct and it was £300 as that is what they checked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am unclear why you states it does not sound like £300. This was the exact amount of the goods.
For some candles, a card and two scarves?Are they saying that there were items missing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jo, I have explained everything to you above and these items are what I had and what they saw on CCTV. All items were returned. They scarves were £125 each and the candles where £25 each. I am unclear why I haven't got a reply to my questions in full given I have provided all the information which was accurate
To be honest it is very difficult to predict.
For theft shoplifting on a first offence they would normally look at a caution or a fixed penalty but that would only normally be available for much lower amounts. £300 exceeds the cut off limit in every constabulary.
Proceeding on the basis that they were recovered in saleable condition, you might be lucky and get them to depart from their procedures but I wouldn't bank on it. Also, I rather suspect the allegation is that there were some items not recovered which would change everything.
In fairness, you wouldn't get a large sentence at court. It would just a conditional discharge or a fine but it is the record that is unattractive. Also, there will be costs of £85, a court charge of £180- £300 and the victim surcharge. They may ask for compensation if they are alleging that items are missing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All items were returned so there is no question on that. What do you mean depart from there procedures as the police were called and I'm going there on Friday.
Complainants have been known to give incorrect evidence upon the value of items taken.
Depart from the normal guidelines.
You weren't arrested because it was easier for them to street bail you. It doesn't mean they will behave differently with the matter proper.
I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had my baby with me and they couldn't take me to the police station but told me i had to come in on my own will which I'm doing this week. Sorry I do not understand what you mean about street ball?
They could have arrested you. They always did in the days before street bail. It was just easier for them not to have a baby in custody so they allowed you to go and come back by appointment - street bail.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok they told me they could take you to the station if you had a child present my main concern in my first mail is am I going to get a criminal record? And it so how long does this remain on file?
You will if it goes to court.
If it is resolved by a caution then you will not but cautions do still show on standard and enhanced DBS checking.
It depends on the sentence but if you receive a fine it will be spent after a year and so will no longer show on basic checking. It will be stepped down on standard after eleven years. It will always show on enhanced.
Cautions are spent immediately so don't show on basic but do on standard for eleven years.