12826847

I recently bought a car from a person I work with, but

Hi, I recently bought a car from a person I work with, but on the day I picket it up he said he will bring the log book in to work the following morning but gave me a hand written recept for my money, so trusting him I took it, the next day he had the log book but it was not in his name and the car also broke down within 50miles now he is refusing to pay me back, what can I do?
The car is not in his name
Can I still buy it if it's not in his name?
He lied about it history
And broke down after 50miles
Thanks Colin
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How much did you pay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only £300 as I wanted to turn it in to a off road toy for play days, it's a land rover discovery 3.9 v8
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I presume this is a private sale?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I don't know what I can do or what I need to do, I said to him that I will talk to a solicitor and he just said "ha ha see u in court"
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You don't have sale of goods act rights against a private seller so the fact that the vehicle has broken down is not claimable I'm afraid. But you are entitled to the log book. The fact that the car is currently in the name of another person doesn't mean he cannot sell it as long as he has the permission of that person to do so. It depends what you want to achieve really. Obviously it is not worth seeking an injunction order for the delivery up of the logbook given the price you paid. You could try to argue misrepresentation if he lied about the history but it depends on the nature of the lie. For a vehicle only worth £300 a court would generally not expect it to be pristine. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For me it's not the money it the fact that he has they keys back and when I try talking to him he get aggressive he is twice my size, I have a hand written recete that he gave me, is it worth contacting the police?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not really. It is a civil matter.
It comes down to the points I made above which are civil not criminal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.